BUN: Blood Urea Nitrogen
BUN stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen. It refers to the blood urea nitrogen test, which is also known as serum BUN test. This test is used to measure the level of waste products (urea nitrogen) in your blood.
Normal BUN Levels:
- Healthy adult man: 8 to 20 mg of urea nitrogen per 100ml (8-20 mg/dL) of blood.
- Children: 5 to 18 mg of urea nitrogen per 100ml (5-18 mg/dL) of blood.
- Healthy adult woman: 6 to 20 mg of urea nitrogen per 100ml (6-20 mg/dL) of blood.
BUN test also helps diagnose various medical conditions:
- High protein levels
- Urinary tract obstruction
- Congestive heart failure
- Gastrointestinal bleeding